Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Stripes & Tulle...and some life changes




Photo Credit: Miranda Plaugher

Top: Who What Wear via Target (similar here and here)
Skirt: Charlotte Russe (similar here and here)
Shoes: Kohl's
Bag: Kate Spade (larger version here)
Necklace: Loren Hope via RocksBox (Use "lizzieinlacexoxo" for a FREE month-no contract!)
Bracelet: Kendra Scott via RocksBox (Use "lizzieinlacexoxo" for a FREE month-no contract!)












Happy Wednesday!

It's not very often that I wear black but you can never go wrong with a tulle skirt, right? I found this top while browsing Target and thought it would be so cute for work! I've worn it twice already, once with the tulle skirt above and another time with a black floral print midi. Of course, I can't  just go full on black and white, so I added some fun pops of color! :-)

So change of pace... I'm going get a bit personal here, but I need some career insight.
 
I stumbled upon substitute teaching two and half years ago. I had lost my job, just graduated with my Bachelor's degree in Studio Art and was getting married in less than a month. I applied for hundreds of jobs and when I wasn't getting anything, my husband suggested substitute teaching. I didn't go in with the intention of becoming a teacher, but rather it became a flexible job that worked around my guitar lesson schedule and paid our bills...plus it was hard to find a job with my degree and being a sub didn't require any certain degree specialization. Within the first year, I work three long term jobs (one was for four months) and as a result, I got three internship offers...none of which worked out. Because of these offers, my family, friends and even teachers, students and administration at these schools pushed me to get my credential and become a teacher because I was "good at  it" and "the students loved me." I kept putting off the credential because I knew in my heart that it wasn't my passion or dream. Fast forward to this past week. After thinking about my situation, I decided that it might be smart financially to go ahead and go through with the program even though I felt like I was settling and just making everyone else happy. I thought that it would be bring stability, make it easier financially and just be the "easy way out" since I already had so much experience. However, a situation came about this past week that completely turned everything upside down. I will not go into details, but I felt betrayed, confused and almost like I'm a pawn in some strange game. This led to extensive research on a teaching career (which I don't know why I didn't do before) and I came to the conclusion that I absolutely do not want to do this, something I felt I knew from the beginning. I just feel so much pressure to pursue this career that I never wanted to do and it makes me feel guilty and at the same time, I don't want to let anyone down.

So here is my dilemma...I'd like to make a career change. I do enjoy subbing for it's flexibility but to be honest, I can never make this a career. It can be a very difficult job sometimes. There are no benefits or health insurance. There are no job guarantees....in fact, I'm writing this from my couch because there were no available jobs today in the 10 districts I work. I'd like to go back to school and pursue my Master's but have no idea where to start. The schools in my town don't offer a degree in anything that interests me and I'd practically be starting from scratch. I'm getting older and know that we may start a family in the next few years. It is very disheartening because I always knew what I wanted to do....I knew it from the day I could hold a pencil, but that dream is out of my grasp and I'm having a hard time deciding where to go from here. I feel like I've wasted so much time over the past few years. 

Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice you can offer? I'd love hear your feedback! Thanks for listening to me vent. :-)

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment