Friday, June 9, 2017

Birthday Girl: Thirty, Flirty and Thriving!




Happy Friday, lovelies!

It's currently 11pm on Thursday as I write this from Lake Tahoe. We arrived not too long ago and had a crazy time getting up here! There ended up being a serious mudslide blocking the only freeway to get to where we need to be. After various attempts of finding another way, we ended up having to go back quite a ways to find an alternate route, adding three hours to our already lengthy trip. Along the way, we ended up seeing some of the most beautiful lakes, historic ghost towns and gorgeous snow covered mountains (the snow was up to15 feet high!). Even though our trip ended up being eleven hours long, it was worth it for the beautiful drive. Plus, we were welcomed by the most adorable pinterest-worthy cabin. Why is it snowing in June, you ask? A random storm made it's way up here bringing the 70 degree weather down to the 40s. Needless to say, I won't be lying out on the beach, but I've never been up here when it's been snowy so I am very excited to explore! Definitely follow along on my Instagram stories if you aren't already ;-)
 
Anyway, tomorrow is my birthday (Saturday) and my 20s come to an end *tear!* In this very special post, I am opening up and celebrating by sharing the 30 things that I have learned in the past 30 years with you!
 
Enjoy!

 
 
A lot of you have been trying to guess my age so here's where I finally reveal it...
 
SURPRISE! I'm 30!!
 
For the past two years, I have hidden my true age on this blog. People always think I'm about 21, I still get carded for rated R movies and I get mistaken as a high schooler on a daily basis (especially when I was subbing). I used to hate looking so young, but now I'm grasping onto that last bit of youth. It's starting to hit me that I'm getting older ...and everyone around me is getting older too. My 20s were full of a lot of trials...A LOT. I had some of the toughest years of my life, but I learned so much about life and about myself and I am thankful that I had to experience some of those things. I am ready to make my 30s the best and most memorable years of my life!
 
Cheers to a new decade!


So before I share my 30 most important life lessons with you, I must first share my outfit (duh!). How adorable is this Free People dress?! It's actually a V-neck, but the chest area was a bit too large for me so I decided to wear it backwards...and I love it! Crazy, right? I fell in love with the pink gingham and knew that I needed to add this perfect spring/summer staple to my wardrobe. Not only is the print adorable, but the bell sleeves are to die for! I belted it to give it a bit more shape and added a cute magenta bag and heels to really bring out the color. I accessorized with a darling daisy necklace, dainty ring and gorgeous boater hat to finish off the look. What do you think?


30 Things I've Learned in the Past 30 Years


Stop Caring What Others Think

This is so hard, especially for me, as I'm someone who loves to please everyone. I love making people happy! But you know what? Some people are just going to be unhappy no matter what and you can't change their mind. Stop working so hard to gain appreciation and respect from others that don't reciprocate. Instead, invest that energy on what working on becoming the best version of yourself that you can possibly be. Do things that make YOU happy and stop living for everyone else. You do YOU!

Risks are Worth Taking

Risks are SO scary, but the older I get, the more I realize that risks are the only thing that can change your life. Looking back, I have never regretted taking ANY risks. Instead, I found that these decisions that once terrified me, opened up new doors and a new path for my life that would not have happened otherwise. I know that it's scary not knowing what will happen, but I promise you that if you have faith, things will usually work out SO much better than what you could have done for yourself. I am no longer afraid to take risks because I know from experience how life-changing it can be. Be willing to get uncomfortable, open to change and get outside your safe little box because that's when the real magic starts to happen.

Things Do Get Better

My twenties were rough! I'm literally crying as I write this. I had a string of unfortunate events happen and it was so disheartening. I was at the lowest point that I have ever been in my life and never thought I would recover. I have always been a super positive person, but there is only so much that one person can take before they completely fall apart. I overcame some huge obstacles and learned many hard lessons along the way and looking back, I am incredibly grateful for these circumstances, no matter how emotionally, mentally, spiritually and mentally difficult they were to handle at the time. Years down the road, I started to see how these situations completely changed my life and led me down a different path, ultimately turning into a really great things. I know first hand that things do happen for a reason and sometimes that reason is for the best, no matter how painful. You can't see it yet, but you will see good come out of a bad situation (EVERY bad situation) further down the road ...possibly even years. Bottom line: If you are going through a tough time, just know that things WILL get better and there will be light in your life again. If you ever need anyone to talk to, you are ALWAYS more than welcome to reach out to me. <3


Love Yourself

This one has been hard for me. I have always had pretty low-self confidence and have never understood why. It's so silly! I finally see just how important this is. I have vowed to take better care of myself and work on improving my confidence. After all, how can anyone else love you if you don't love yourself?

Don't Work So Much
 
"Hello! I'm Liz and I'm a workaholic!" Since I graduated high school, I have ALWAYS worked two to three jobs at a time (usually out of town - while going to school full-time). 80 hour work weeks? You better believe it. This ideal stems down to my childhood and my fears of financial insecurity, so there is a psychological reason for this madness. I also tend to have a really entrepreneurial spirit and when I am super passionate about something (like this blog), I will work hours and HOURS on it because 1.) I'm a perfectionist and 2.) it's something I truly enjoy. However, working these insane hours is probably the biggest thing I regret. I have missed out on SO much and had to make many sacrifices in order to work. I really wish I could have spent my young years just having some FUN and spent more time nurturing relationship with the people I love. Money is not everything and I honestly wish I could turn back time on this one.

It's Okay to Take a Time Out

I have a REALLY hard time relaxing. I am always thinking of things I could be doing or crossing off my to do list. However, this leads to burn out and completely exhausted, which is never a good thing. I always felt guilty for taking time for myself, but now I realize that it is SO important and vital for your well-being (and for your job). I will definitely be implementing a lot more of this in my 30s.

 
Patience is a Virtue
 
Patience is such an important quality to have. In today's society, everything is so fast paced and everyone wants everything now now now. We want more money, better jobs, etc but don't want to work or wait for them. Sometimes, the timing is not right and other times, there is still so much to be learned before moving forward. For example, a business is not built from the ground up overnight. It likely has taken MANY years of hard work before they even begin to see traction, but they never gave up. If you are doing something that you believe in, keep working on it and eventually something will come of it. It may take many years, but each day is a step forward in the right direction. The best things are worth waiting for anyway.  :-)
 
Appreciate the Little Things
 
Don't forget to stop and smell the roses. So many times, we get caught up in life and forget about these little things that make our life complete. Don't ever make yourself too unavailable that you forget to live. You only live once, so make sure you are living life to the fullest.
 
Don't Compare Yourself to Others
 
This one is so hard for all of us as it's just human nature. I even wrote a whole post on it! Comparing yourself to others elicits jealousy and feelings of hopelessness. Why would you want to make yourself feel bad? You are worth so much more than that! Instead of spending time scrutinizing and longing for the life and material items that everyone else has, use that time to better yourself.
 

Learn to Say NO

I am soooo guilty of this. As a people pleaser, I love to help out others and hate to hurt their feelings. However, doing this repeatedly has completely exhausted me. I am only one person and I cannot be everything for everyone. I cannot do everything for everyone. And I won't. I know that this may upset some people, but my time and sanity is worth so much more than that and if they truly cared, they would be understanding.

Be Grateful for What You Have
 
This goes back to comparing yourself to others. By human nature, we want what we don't have, but may times we don't know what strings come attached to that life style. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors and you don't how someone actually lives their life. They only show you what they think you want to see. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, so be thankful for what you have and work hard for the things that you don't.

Quality Relationships Matter

This is something I struggle with very much. There are a lot of toxic relationships in my life right, many of them very close family members. I have had to deal with this negativity my entire life. I have spent so many years trying to earn respect and make these people proud of me. I have given everything and have not received anything in return. Instead, I have been disrespected, felt unwelcomed and been taken advantage of. I let this go on for so long because I loved them and thought they could change. They haven't and they won't. As heartbreaking as it is, I have learned that in order to move on with my life, I have to sever ties and cut out the negativity that is bringing me down.


It's Never Too Late to Change Your Life Path

I always had a plan for my life and unfortunately, it just didn't work out that way. I struggled with my career for a very long time and always thought that I could never "start over" at my age. I always wished I could go back in a time machine and change everything, but it seems that things always come together in life at the most unexpected times whether that's in your prime or when you think it's too late. I found my passion in blogging a couple of years ago and finally found the chance to live out my fashion dream. I decide that I was NOT too old to pursue something that I loved and that made me incredibly happy. You are never too old to do anything! Just do it.

Live in the Moment

Many times, I live my life very scheduled and never allow for those spontaneous moments because I'm afraid that something will go wrong. I'm a control freak. However, looking back, I find that my most cherished memories are those that were spontaneous and that didn't quite go as planned. Life is about the adventure, not the destination. Don't take these moments for granted.

Trust Your Instincts

I have never found my gut feeling to be wrong. It has saved me from a lot of what could have been disastrous situations. Your instincts are one of the most powerful tools that you have!


Skincare is an Absolute MUST!

You all know I love my skincare and I am constantly preaching about it's importance. If you don't have a skincare regimen, start one right away. You will never regret starting one sooner, but you will regret it down the road when there is irreversible damage. Also, wear sunscreen!!! I used to work at a dermatologists office and it was always so heartbreaking to hear of a patient being diagnosed with Melanoma. It is super serious and your friends and family value you way too much for anything like this to happen to you.

Be a Life Long Learner
 
I'm a huge advocate of life long learning! I think that it's super important to always be learning new skills and keeping your mind sharp with ever-growing knowledge.  

Don't Let Others Dictate Your Life

Story of my life. Seriously. I use to let others tell me how to live my life, especially when concerning my career. I went along with it for years because I didn't want to let anyone down and I felt selfish for thinking otherwise. It was only that I realized I was extremely unhappy living someone else's life and wasn't living a life of my own or using my full potential. I completely lost my identity and what makes me unique. You are only on this Earth for so long, so why not do things that make YOU happy instead of trying to make everyone else happy? When I came to this realization, I started living for me (and only me!) and I have never looked back. Best decision ever!


Make Health a Priority
 
I am just now seeing how important this is. As I get older and see others getting older around me, I have witnessed way too many serious health issues that simply could have been avoided if they had been taking care of themselves. This terrifies me. I want to grow old with my husband and play with my grand children. I want to be active, healthy and free from illness that could possibly deter me from doing the things that I once loved

Be a Goal Digger

I am HUGE on writing my goals down! I even write goals to achieve those goals and so on. They are so important if you want to move forward in any way toward making your dreams a reality. It's such a simple thing to do and hold you accountable for getting those things done. Small wins turn into big wins!! Set those goals high! ;-)
Give Back

I have been in a place where I needed help and was too prideful to accept. I learned how to accept help when I needed it and learned that it was not a burden or because people expected something in return. They helped me because it was the right thing to do and they felt a deep connection to what I was going through. I have such a huge heart for helping others, especially the homeless. I love that some of the situations I have gone through in my past can now be used as a testimony to help someone else that may be in a similar place in their life. I feel like I can give them a meaningful relationship and restore hope that may have been lost. This is something I feel so strongly about and something that I feel can truly make a difference in someone else's life whether you know it or now. People do remember the things that you have done for them, especially during the most difficult times. 


Don't Worry So Much

Consuming your life with worry and stress not only adds years to your life, but is also such a waste of time. I know that sometimes it's really hard not to, but we really just have to trust that everything will work out in the long run for the best (and it will). Be positive and have faith!

Don't Wait for the Perfect Time
 
I have spent so much time waiting for THE perfect time for pretty much every situation in my life. In the past few years, I have learned that if you want something, you have to go after it. Don't wait...JUST DO IT. Like right now. Even if you think you aren't ready. Jump in fully to pursue whatever it is you want to do, put everything you have into it and never look back. You will only regret not starting sooner.

Don't Live in the Past

Your past does not define you. Your mistakes do not define you. Take the lessons that you have learned and apply them to your future to become a better person. Don't let anything from your past ever hold you back. No matter your mistakes, you are good enough and you are worthy.

 
Simplify Your Life
 
Sometimes living simply is the best way to live. Take time out to enjoy everything and don't put too many eggs in your basket.
 
Keep Things Interesting
 
Always be open to trying new things. Learn a new language, how to play an instrument, how to incorporate a new skill, discover a hidden talent, travel to places you never thought you'd see, etc....just do something. In my opinion, routine is never a good thing because it holds you back from your full potential of growing and learning new things..or even just things about yourself that you didn't know before. I feel like there should always be something to be excited about! A little challenge is a good thing.
 
Be a Kind Person
 
The way you treat people goes a long way and is very telling of your true character. You will be much more respected and well-received if you have a positive attitude and actually try to form meaningful relationships with people. You never know where these relationships might lead in the future and you never know where a little bit of kindness will get you in life. 
 

Outfit Details:

Dress: Free People c/o| Shoes: Target (old) | Purse: Mywalit c/o | Hat:Forever 21 (old - love this!) | Necklace: Juicy Couture (old) | Belt:  Modcloth (old)| Ring: Etsy


Your Job Does Not Define You

When you meet someone new, usually the first thing they ask is "what do you do?" Our society has put too much pressure on having the perfect job and the perfect life. If you don't have the "right job," people will think differently of you. I have been given the side eye more than once when revealing my work life to new acquaintances. The thing is is that our "jobs" do not define us. Maybe we are not in our dream career role yet? Maybe we still have no idea what we want to be when we grow up? Maybe we would rather raise our children? What defines you is your character and how you treat people. Your job is your title, but it is not who you are and I feel like this is so important to remember. You are more than your job!

Never Stop Chasing Your Dreams
 
No matter how old you get, NEVER give up on your dreams! I see s many people settling for something less than stellar  because they simply chose to give up because it was too hard. Anything worth having will not come easy. It takes time, faith and passion to fulfill a dream and it gives us hope that we can one day acquire this beautiful, happy life that we have imagined for ourselves. If you can dream it, you can do it and don't let anyone or anything stop you.

Have FUN!

Sometimes I feel like people think they need to be serious just because they are an adult. There is definitely a time to be serious, but there is also a time to let loose and have some fun! Find your inner child and just do things that may seem super silly, but that make you smile and create a lifetime of memories not only for you but for those that you are around. Happiness is contagious and there is a reason that people love being around others that can joke around. It's so refreshing and something we need more of. No matter your age, always set aside some time to laugh, smile and have fun!
 
 
Have a great weekend!!
 
xo
 
***And don't forget to enter my birthday giveaway here!***


--------------------------------------------
 

Link up time - yay! <3




Suggestions:
*Follow my blog via bloglovin' to stay connected!

*Follow me on a social media website: Instagram or Facebook to stay connected!

*Place a link to this link up in your post (ex. "Linking up with: {insert my link here}) so that other's can join the party!

*Visit and comment on atleast one other blog (this is very important so we can support one another!)



                                                                                           Directions:



Every Friday at midnight PST, all bloggers will be able to submit their favorite outfit, beauty, and decor looks by clicking the inlinkz button below. Adding your link will allow you to show off your personal style, make new friends and gain new followers! It is such a great way to connect. Just click the blue button and your good to go. Make sure to have your blog linked up by next Thursday evening, as I will be picking my favorite to showcase on the blog. :-) Spread the word! The more, the merrier! Looking forward to all of your looks! :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment